CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, September 11, 2008

7 Years Ago


I was sitting in a meeting at work when the President of the company received a call from his wife. He didn't usually take the calls during our meetings but was told it was important. He relayed to us what his wife told him. That a plane had hit the World Trade Center. We all figured it was a terrible accident and was probably just a small 2 seater.

I was around 6 weeks pregnant with our first baby and sick, sick, sick. I didn't stay at work. It was the first time I missed work because of how bad I felt. I decided to go home and be miserable there. I listened to the radio on the way home and they were announcing that the 2nd tower had just fallen. I was driving across the desert in little Idaho while thousands of people were running from falling buildings. It was unbelievable.

I had been to New York just a few months earlier with work and drove right through the middle of the city. I was extremely tired and so I don't remember a lot of it. (I am disappointed about that now that the skyline is so different.) 2 weeks earlier Daniel and I had been in DC for both my work and vacation. We drove right by the Pentagon many times. It was the first time I had returned to my mission since coming home 2 years earlier.

That was not a fun week to be sick. All I could do was exist, while lying on the couch. I watched T.V. and cried a lot. Watching all the heart breaking stories of people looking for their husband or wife, father or mother, brother or sister. Not knowing whether they were alive or dead. All the time I spent at home was awful.

It is painful to watch the videos, and see the pictures from that day. Who would have ever thought we would have been attacked like that. I could not believe and still can't. What the world was becoming? I was scared my little baby that I was bringing to the world. If my world is like this what will hers be like? I was and am, very grateful for the gospel teachings in my life to help me know that this wasn't the end for those families. Happier times will come.

I have always considered myself to be a proud American. But I felt a love for my country that week and the people in it, deeply. It was hard to watch and hear about all the families that lost loved ones. It is hard to hear about them even today. However I do think we are stronger for it. Now it is something that will always be in our history for us to learn from.
I love America and I am so grateful to those who give their lives so freely to protect our country and our lives.
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!

0 comments: